Friday, November 05, 2010

E Friday - violin

E has been playing the violin for a while now. Not because she asked to, but because mom thought it would be good for her. They found a little violin that fit her, and she practices every day. She is doing the ‘Suzuki’ method, which supposedly works pretty well. The first few months all she did was practice holding the violin under her chin, and how to hold a bow. She moved up to playing notes eventually and finally up to playing whole songs. Mom usually supervises the practice, to insure the proper pose.


But when she finishes a song correctly she seems to be greatly relieved.

4 comments:

Colleen Barnett said...

Can't wait till you post a video of her playing now! x

Virginia Gal said...

Wow that is so cool, I'm going to have to try this with my little one!

Don said...

I remember that look from when my piano lesson was finally over. It's great that she is doing it though. What a good little girl.

Rob said...

When I was eight the teacher said that anyone wanting to learn violin should see Mr Hough at lunchtime. result: I came home with a long black case and "Guess what we did today, Mummy!" (The elementary lessons were in a big group and free - you had to pay for the individual ones if you wanted to take it at all seriously. Clever marketing really.) Here I am, 47 years on, now hacking my way through Nielsen symphonies and Bartok quartets instead of "On Wings Of Song" and "My Bonnie Lies Over The Ocean", but still as keen. I had my last lesson 38 years ago, but you learn a lot by playing with folk who are better than you. The very best of luck to E: it doesn't matter if she plays opera, show tunes, Lady Gaga, bluegrass, cajun, jazz - or all of the above. She'll suddenly realise she can do something most people can't, which is pretty cool when you're a teenager.